Thursday, January 10, 2008

Me, Myself and Cats

I know its a random topic but hey these random things are the things that keep this blog going. It will be a long post so sit back grab a coffee and make sure you don't ended up in the Top 20, Here it goes..

My relationship with cats was always on a love and hate basis. Back when i was a kid, cats were almost like a member of the family. I grew up with my grandparents who owned at least 40 to 50 cats. To cope with them, my grannies have a systematic process in naming their cats. Some goes by skin type and colours hence C-Kuning, C-Putih, C-Itam, C-Siam then it goes by patterns and identifiable defects such as C -Tompok, C juling, C-Kurap and C Kurus and the list goes on and it was repetitive.

Cats are clever creatures. During breakfast, lunch or dinner time, Nenek just have to knock a spoon and a plate together and you sill see cats coming out from all sort of places to feast. It was almost like a break time bell where kids will rush to the canteen to get their Ice-Cream panjang or Nasi Lemak. I used to annoy the hell out of my uncle as i played this symphoney in his room and locked the cats inside with him..It was hilarious hehe. I had a few favourite myself but most of them were short lived as they were hit by cars on the nearby road or eaten by the stupid dogs next door. Sigh! My mum however doesn't really like them as she knows the fur can trigger my asthma and irritate my eyes. My relationship with cats was officially ended when i was 8 when a stray cat attacked me leaving long stripes across my face for months.

20 years down the road, I am back with the same situation again except for now i am 20 years older and it is at my in-laws. Ms He man's family love their cats but unfortunately she herself is not a big fan as she is also allergic to cat fur. The naming convention in this house is more sophisticated as it is taken from Novels,movies and cartoon characters. To name a few, there are Tiger, Aragorn, Max, Pumpkin, Crazy Momy and Vegy ( Vegetta from Dragon Balls). Each of these cats have their own unique characters which constantly reminds me how intelligent and sometime silly these creatures can be. Tiger for example the so called head honcho of em all got these acrobatic flips going on whenever he sees any new strangers in the house. I lost count on how many times this cat has flipped on my feet but the annoying bit is that it is always followed by a bite and cat spit.. yikes!

The other head honcho is Tigger`s own brother Aragorn. This one never failed to amuse me. This cat understand Tagalog and talk back ( well meow back) whenever u talk to him. He is also a good friend and accompany you when you are alone and lonely. One time i was sleeping outside on the couch waiting for Ms He Man to come back from dinner with her friends, this cat came on the couch, stretch and made his own space and sleep on my arms. Sweet eh? Furthermore this cat can climb up trees and stairs but he is afraid of heights. I witnessed several rescue operations done in this house to save this silly boy from the attic or trees.

I was made to understand to never put these two (Aragorn & Tiger) together in one room as it is a recipe for a world war 3. These two keep on fighting their ass off in a never ending battle to prove who is the baddest meanest cat in the house.

Last but not least is Veggy, the oldest of em` all. This cat is like Yoda..calm and gentle. His favourite hang out spot is on the Parking lot driveway and nothing will make this guy move if he does not want to. It can be frustrating at times when you are late for golf early in the morning and you have to either push or reason with this cat before you can reverse your car out of the garage. Mybe he is deaf or meditating, he just wont move.

Enough about cats now..i think i drank too much coffee tonight. Its 1:00am and i am still wide awake. Just finished watching Game plan just now...a fantastic movie about a long lost relationship between a father and daughter..sad, sweet and funny. I`m off now..to all my muslim friends out there..Selamat tahun baru Hijrah and enjoy the holiday!

Cheers!

No comments: